Sunday, July 28, 2013

A little about me . . .

A little about me. Hmmm . . . Well I suppose writing has always been a passion of mine. In high school I either had my nose glued to a book or my fingers to a keyboard.  I started dozens of stories that I never finished because another great idea would come along. I became pretty frustrated with myself and put writing away for awhile.

A few years ago I found it again. It was during a time in my life where I was very low and I needed a reality escape. And at first that's all it was, an escape but pretty soon my dream of becoming a published Author began burning within me once more and I started writing again, little by little, more and more. After my first novel was complete I thought "That's it! I'm officially an Author now!"

 I began sending out Query after Query and receiving back rejection after rejection. Once again I became very discouraged and put my writing away again.

Then last fall after I couldn't stand not writing anymore, I picked up it once again. But this time instead of writing a fantasy novel/ paranormal romance I decided I needed to change my genre. I started thinking about how in church we are encouraged to use our time and talents to bring forth the kingdom of God. After all that is where our gifts and talents come from and we need to use them for his purposes. So I picked one of those high school stories that I began writing so long ago. It was a topic that I have always been very fascinated with and have grown to love very dearly . . . The LDS Pioneers.

By December my book was well on it's way but I was still very discouraged because of my first attempt at getting published. I wasn't sure I could bring myself to go through all of that again. That's when I had the privilege of meeting Jennifer Ann Holt in Deseret Book. She was there selling her own book Delivering Hope. I asked her what the trick to getting published was and explained that I was also an Author. She was very kind and told me to never give up. She explained more about the Query/ Submission process and gave me a lot of good advice in the few minutes we talked. I of course bought her book which is just fantastic, just so you all know, and then went home to ponder what she had told me. 

I started with about 20 pages or so and have since turned those 20 pages into 233 pages. It's been a long process and I'm still in the editing process but I hope to be able to start submitting my book to publishers in the next month or so.

You may be asking why on earth I've decided to start a blog in the midst of all of this. My answer is easy. I have learned so so much and I am still learning. I will be the first to admit that editing is my biggest weakness. Because editing it is so hard for me, I have really had to push myself and study hard to learn what I need to know in order to complete this book. I just want to share what I've learned and hopefully help and encourage someone else who may be struggling with their own writing. I've had a lot of help along the way and I hope that I can provide that same kind of help to someone else.

I'm not certain how often I will post but I already have a lot I want to share. So make sure to check in every once in a while to see what's new. I wish you all the best of luck with your own writing journeys and pray that we may be able to become successful writers together.

~Nikki

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on the journey! I hope it all falls into place for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Charlie! It's an amazing journey, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki.

    Hang in there and keep on trying. When your next project is finished, send it out into the world to find representation/a publisher and keep at it even if rejections are returned. And while you're waiting for an agent/editor to say, Yes, continue writing, completing that next project!

    I am guessing I'm not telling you anything different than Jennifer Ann Holt did. Persevere! Succeed despite the odds, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, editing is such a difficult part for me, too. I'm just too close to the story. Especially my most recent book, which is a memoir. Although a publisher has accepted it for publishing, my editor says we will be doing a "substantive editing" on it, so it's not ready for publishing yet by any means :) I seem to do a lot better at critiquing for other people, though. If you'd like, I'd be happy to read through your manuscript when you're ready. I had one beta reader before I sent my book to a publisher, and she was a HUGE help. I can give you my email address through a message on Facebook, if you're interested in having me critique for you. Incidentally, I too, met Jennifer, but it was at a writer's conference. We've been friends ever since, I LOVED her book, and she critiqued my synopsis that I sent to my publisher. She's an amazing gal with an amazing life story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terry and Polly,
    Thanks so much for your encouragement and advice. It helps to know that I am not alone. Lol! Although I have had a few writers I met at a conference this last may who have assured me that discouragement and frustration come to all who write, it's still nice to hear that confirmed when I'm trying to "push" through, if you know what I mean. I will try to keep everyone posted on my progress. And Polly, thanks for the offer of doing a read through for me. I'm not sure I'm to that point yet but I keep you in mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete