Sunday, September 15, 2019

Me as an Author

People often ask me how I get the ideas for the stories I write. The answer can vary from book to book but mostly I try to think of unique situations and what would be the cause. From there I grow a story to answer the ever-present question, what if.

One of the first books I wrote, Timeless Grace follows the story of two sisters who are trying to get to the Salt Lake Valley after their parents die along the way, when the wagon train they are with abandons them along the trail. With Josie the youngest sister fighting for her life, Sara must decide if she can trust the stranger who has stumbled upon them and is she willing to risk her heart along the way. This book all started from the idea of all the pioneers who never made it to their original destination. For one reason or another they stopped along the way and never continued on. The idea intrigued me and from that sprouted the idea for my book.

Forever Tomorrows came about a bit differently. To be honest, I have never given it any thought about writing a book about my life, any part, big or small. It was never anything I wanted to share with others. I wasn’t ashamed, per say, but I definitely didn’t want people knowing about some of the darker parts. Then one night, back in March, I had this dream about this boy and girl who were in a mental hospital together. The dream thing is a little Cliché’, I know. Despite that, I woke up the next morning with this idea. The story of a girl and boy who meet during the most difficult times in their lives. And for days it was on my mind. I started writing it just to get it out of my head but then I couldn’t stop. Without purposely doing it, my own experiences bled into the story. But remember the story is still a work of fiction and it truly comes down to Jesslyn and Daniel, the boy she meets. I did know someone like Daniel once, who became my friend in one of the hospitals I stayed in. He did in fact stand up to some bullies trying to protect me from them, just like Daniel does for Jesslyn in my story. But we were never more than friends. Like I said before, my story turned out much differently. 

I’ve already started drafting my next book and I’m excited to see where this story takes me.  

One thing I have discovered about myself lately, something I seemed to have forgotten along the way, I want to help people. Not just that, but all those who have or are going through something similar to what I went through. I want them to know they aren’t alone. That there can be light after all of the darkness. I want to touch someone’s life for the better. And maybe that’s what really makes the difference in my writing right now. Because before, I wrote because I loved creating. But now that love for creating has been coupled with a love and desire to help someone else who is struggling. 

It has always been a dream of mine to become a published author but now that dream has transformed slightly. Because my goal isn’t just to become some famous author anymore. I just want to reach someone else and touch their lives for the better.

Well, until next time…  

Oh, and I think I forgot to mention that I now have a Twitter account. I know, I know. I’m a bit behind in the times but I’m figuring it out as I go. Lol! If you’re on and want to check it out, you can find me at https://twitter.com/NLLewis1 .

No comments:

Post a Comment